Another day in Edinburgh

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Edinburgh Castle

We spent our second day as well in Edinburgh. In the morning we went to Edinburgh Castle. At the entrance, there was nearly everything prepared for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo Festival!!

The Castle was impressive and imposing!! You have an incredible city´s view from the Castle!

I strongly recommend getting an audioguide. It explains you EVERYTHING you would like to know about the Castle, its history and everything you find inside it.

Inside the Castle, you could see the Mons Meg, a giant medieval siege gun, which was presented to King James II in 1475 and used in war against the English. It was kept in the castle and used also for firing salutes. During one firing in 1558, the massive gunstone was found almost 2 miles away!! It last fired in 1681 when its barrel burst.

At the Great Hall we saw a show where two guys explain us how the Scottish people way of life was, how they fought against their enemies, the history of the kilt. At the end, they fought one against the other.

After that, we went to Calton Hill, to the City Observatory. We took some photos and began to walk to Princes Street Gardens, from where you have a wonderful view.

stabber911 says:
Yes, I want to know the history of kilt!! can you still remember??
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
Royal Mile
Royal Mile
At Calton Hill
At Calton Hill
A floral clock in Princes Street G…
A floral clock in Princes Street …
In Princes Street Gardens
In Princes Street Gardens
in the gardens again
in the gardens again
Where is the telephone box?? ;-)
Where is the telephone box?? ;-)
Edinburgh