Beautiful Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Sunset from my hotel balcony- beautiful!

Spent my first of three days in this lovely town exploring and avoiding boats and wooden seats at all costs.

I'm staying at the most fantastic hotel, the kind of place I'd never afford in Australia but here you can get a five star hotel for $50/night. It's a little out of town but right on the Mekong in what was the French Prince's residence when he was here. I am the only guest in the hotel at the moment so I've got the best room (see the photo!) and all the staff are falling over themselves trying to be helpful. They speak little English and my Lao is, well, minimal so it makes for interesting conversations!

It must have been about 37-39C today but I made the most of the absence of rain to climb the hill in the centre of town to see 'imprint of Buddha's foot'!! Lots of beautiful French colonial style architecture, unbelieveably good massage, delicious Lao coffee, friendly monks (no ulterior motives here!) and just a generally great place to be for a few days. Heading out to the night handcraft market tonight after some Lao dinner.

Priya says:
I'm glad you're having fun,buddy ol pal.. i'm living vicariously through you at the moment.. exams grr.. Lovin these blogs.. so cool.
Posted on: May 28, 2006
Sunset from my hotel balcony- beau…
Sunset from my hotel balcony- bea…
Novice monks