Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Bangkok Travel Blog

After a reasonable sleep on the flight from Melbourne I stumbled out somewhat bedraggled at Bangkok airport, made it through customs and out the other side into the big, noisy, steamy, smelly metropolis that is Bangkok. Don't ask me what I spent the day doing because I think the heat has erased the day's memories but I do remember something about crashing for a few hours in a guesthouse in Silom before catching the overnight train to Chiang Mai at 1800.

That'd have to be the greatest train trip I've ever been on- I paid the extra baht to get a first class sleeper which has two berths in it and is lockable- and because the thai railways people won't mix gender I ended up with the entire compartment to myself. There's a waitress who sets up a five course fantastic Thai dinner at 1930 (for $5!) then another guy comes in about 2030 to make your 'bed' and turn off the lights! I slept better than I ever have in my life and woke up at 0530 to a Thai breakfast served in bed :-) Arrived in Chiang Mai at 0635 the following day...

missl says:
I loved your entry. I have to agree about the sleep.My best sleep was on the sleeper train aswell.By far the best train trip I have been on.
Posted on: Jan 08, 2007