Sweet Land of Liberty

Washington Travel Blog

I am a firm believer in pilgrimages. I strongly feel that there are just some places that people have to visit. The destination varies from person to person , culture to culture and belief to belief but I think that every American should visit Washington DC at least once in their life. It is the home of our country, our nations capital and the site or many of our nations important buildings. Although nothing in DC is original by any means, we’ve taken the architectural styles of different powerful nations and made them our own.

Saying this, I must go on to state the visiting Washington during July is an absolutely terrible decision. I’m from Florida so I deal with ridiculously high temperatures and dangerously high humidity.

National Museum of American History
On this particular day, I was hotter than I can ever remember being•ever.

Our hotel was located just outside of the district. Hotels here are very expensive; the prices are insane. Lucky for us, public transportation in this part of the country is phenomenal especially compared to what I’m used to at home. Here in Jacksonville everyone drives EVERYWHERE. Our forms of mass transit include a bus system, which doesn’t reach out to all of the suburbs and a useless skyrail downtown. Therefore, I was not used to being able to hop on the subway and simply ride the rail to my destination. We bought a day pass so that we could use the underground as much as possible. At least that was my mother’s thinking and mine. Not far into our visit we realized my father’s intentions were different.

Washington Monument
We felt it was necessary for us to walk EVERYWHERE so that we didn’t miss any of the sites. The humiditure that day was about 110, a temperature not conducive for walking the paved roads of a concrete jungle.

Sights we saw included the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, National WWII Memorial, the National Museum of American History, Library of Congress and the National Archives were we saw the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It was a full day of sight seeing and by the time we reached the White House I was absolutely positive exhausted. The beaming sun made me feel delirious, nauseous and dizzy. I simply couldn’t take it anymore. We stayed at the White House long enough to see George W’s dog being let outside to use the bathroom and to take pictures of the protestors before I started vomiting my brains out. I was miserable. I was no longer in any condition to be walking the streets of our nation’s capital. I left my final mark on the sidewalk in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and we walked to the nearest subway stop and took a train to our suburban hotel. Dinner was at a nearby Chinese restaurant. Lucky for me it didn’t take too long for me to cool down and start feeling better. I would love to return to Washington•just not in the month of July.

Honest Abe