Pisgah National Forest

Hendersonville Travel Blog

Looking Glass Falls

Each year my family congregates in Hendersonville, North Carolina to celebrate at least one holiday with my nana.  The family drives in from Ohio, Charlotte and Florida just to get together.  It usually pretty interesting because the drama is ever present.  As a means of escape, my cousins and I have created a tradition of an annual hike.  The hike can be as simple as walking from Nana's to my Uncle Rob's and Aunt Nancy's house, or it could be a hike through the trails of Pisgah National Forest or DuPont State Forest.  It doesn't matter where we go, we always seem to have an adventure once we're there.

Over the years we find ourselves returning back to Pisgah.  It is such a great place!  During the summers the park is full of folks enjoying a picnic, hiking, bike riding, swimming, tubing and even fishing.

The French Broad

During the winters most people just stick to the trail as the water is far too cold to go swimming.

Aside from tubing, one of my favorite summer activities is visiting Sliding Rock.  Sliding Rock has been in use since the days of the Native Americans. The Native Americans would slide down this massive inclined rock and land in a pool of freezing mountain water.  Today you'll find many people doing the very same thing.  Modern technologies has made it easier and safe to climb up to the top of the rock.  There is now a hand rail to hold onto which is very helpful.  Don't wear your best suit to Sliding Rock, you might just find you'll get a hole in your bum.  This hasn't happened to me but I've seen it happen.  The rocks aren’t particularly rough, but I promise you it’s hard to go down just one time.
  Once you start you won’t want to stop and after repeat runs the fabric is put to it’s limits.  This is a great activity for kids.

The water at Pisgah never gets particularly warm, no matter when you go it will still be rather cool.

This is because the water comes from melted snow caps in the mountain’s peaks.  I don’t think you could swim in fresher cleaner water.  It’s really clare and you can see small fish swim by you as well as flecks of micah in the rocks below.  I suggest wearing water shoes while swimming because you might find that some of the rocks are rough on the feet.

Apparently the fishing here is fantastic.

Behind Looking Glass Falls
  I haven’t fished here as I’m not much of a fisherwoman but I’ve seen some decent sized fish get snagged.  Most of the fisherman are fly fishing knee deep or waist deep in the water however if you aren’t a skilled fly fisherman you can try from the banks.

Like I mentioned before, we also go tubing at Pisgah.  There are outposts where you can rent your inner tube there at the park.  Simply park in one of the lots and walk just a short distance to the water, drop your float in and you’re off.  If you find yourself in Western North Carolina, make a point to visit Pisgah.

thenewextrememimi says:
This place sounds so fun. I doubt I'll ever just "find" myself in Western North Carolina, though. Sigh.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2007
Snow!
Snow!
Hendersonville Sights & Attractions review
My family spends a lot of time in the mountains of North Carolina and there is one attraction we visit year after year. Sliding Rock, which is locat… read entire review
Hendersonville