Little Talbot Island

Jacksonville Travel Blog

This morning I took my mom, dad and my two year old niece Olivia to the beach at Little Talbot Island State Park.  I visited the beach the previous week on a field trip and was told by a park ranger about a spot on the island that is perfect for finding starfish and sanddollars.  The island is located off of A1A and is easily accesible.  Park fees will cost you $3 per vehicle, but it is more than worth it.  Just beyond the ranger station is a parking lot with covered picnic areas, showers, bathrooms, water fountains and a vending machine.  Follow the boardwalk to the beach.  Once you reach the sand, turn left and walk about 1/4 a mile down the beach.  The best place to find the sanddollars is on a sandbar in the water.  Within a 10 minute period we found over 50 full sanddollars on one sandbar.  We filled Olivia's bucket full of them and carried them back to the car to be used as centerpieces for my brother's wedding reception.  The sanddollars are very fragile and we acccidently broke 11 of them in transit.  When we got home we had 43 sanddollars!  That's amazing considering I've only ever found 2 perfectly complete ones at the more popular local beaches.

Along the shore you'll find tons of starfish both dead and alive.  All the live ones I placed back into the ocean.  Within a 5 foot radius I counted 24 starfish.  It was incredible!  Olivia loved it!