The House of Mouse

Lake Buena Vista Travel Blog

Magic Kingdom

I have so many stories I can share with you that involve Disney.  Disney brings out the best, and worst of people but it can also create memories that will last a lifetime.  We first moved to Florida when I was 8 years old.  We went to Disney that very same year and I was in complete awe of the place. I had been to theme parks before but never to anything like this.

I remember thinking how cool it was that all of my favorite characters, especially Winnie the Pooh were just roaming the streets.  We bought an autograph book and a pen and my brothers and I had all of the characters that we encountered sign their names.  That was definitely a highlight for me.  Oddly enough, I could care less about the rides back then.

Magic Kingdom

I’ve never been a thrill ride person, but the park provides more laid back rides for weenies like myself.

As I got older our school started doing field trips down to Disney.  How cool is that?  My favorite was my senior year of high school.  Every year Disney hosts an event known as Gradnight where they open the park after hours for soon to be graduates.  The park was all ours.  They also bring in an musical act to perform, which I thought was pretty neat also.

Now a days I’ve found excuses such as concerts to visit the grounds.  Each year I go to at least one concert at the House of Blues at Downtown Disney, a free shopping district.

Before each concert I browse through the shops.
Magic Kingdom
  My favorite store is a Christmas store that is open year round.  My ultimate favorite activity at Downtown Disney is to rent a boat and take it out on Lake Buena Vista.  It’s not at all expensive and it’s a great way to spend the afternoon.  The stores are great for kids of all ages.  There is a LEGO store where there are lifesize models of some very interesting creatures and people.  There is also a Mr. Potatohead and My Little Pony station where you can customize the toy of your choice.

My favorite park as a kid was always Magic Kingdom because it had the best rides and the most characters but now that I’m older I’ve come to appreciate Epcot instead.  Epcot is dedicated to all of the different cultures from all over the world.  While there aren’t many rides here at all, it’s like traveling around the world in just a matter of hours.

There are street performers, shops and some of the best eateries in any of the parks.
Magic Kingdom
  As you walk from “country” to “country” you see how much work and detail has gone into making each “country” well represented.  Regional music pipes through speakers and foods from each culture are served in their respective countries.  My favorite place to eat is Japan.  There are two (I think) restaurants there, and both are divine.  We visit the Japanese Grill, it’s not at all pricey and it’s a fantastic experience.  Did I mention the food is to die for?

Animal Kingdom is one of the newer parks on the property.  It is basically a large reserve that includes rides. Our favorite was a safari ride that brought you up close and personal with animals.  It’s better than going to the local zoo.

For more information please check out my review just below the pictures.

Lake Buena Vista Sights & Attractions review
The best part about being a Floridian isn’t having the beaches in your back yard, but rather having Disney World in your back yard. Many Floridian… read entire review
Lake Buena Vista