Oh so many buses

Granada Travel Blog

We left Utila on Thursday and had a choppy ferry back to the mainland (thankfully no puking, but it was close) and then a bus to San Pedro Sula.  We had to stay overnight in a crappy yet rather pricey hotel because we got in about 10, and then it was off again on a 12 hour bus to Managua, Nicaragua.  Managua wasn't so bad.  The hotel was equally pricey, but much nicer and we spent our evening in a local mall (the only place with a cirrus ATM) checking out the scene and perusing ridiculous items in the many dollar stores.

Today we took another bus to Granada, a pretty colonial town on the shores of the Lago.  We are staying at a hostel called the Bearded Monkey, which is obviously all international travellers, but it was recommended and has great information on local activities.  They also have a place on the lake, which I think we will check out on Monday.

So far so good in Nica.  There is an election coming up, so there are political signs and slogans everywhere, but no cool protests or rallies yet.  The 19th is a national holiday commemorating some aspect of revolution.  Maybe we'll see some cool Sandinista stuff then.

And, I will try to take some photos with Beau's small camera, since they have been severely lacking of late.  To appease your photo cravings, Beau has recently posted his Guatemala photos at www.brattonian.smugmug.com
mdub says:
Hi Emily! Work is so boring without you! I came across a deep thought by Jack Handey and it made me think of you, since Andy said something to me about you guys visiting a volcano:
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, forget em', cause, man, they're gone."

Sounds like some good advice to me! I hope you're having fun over there. Tell Beau I said hi ; )

Posted on: Jul 19, 2006