Incidence of car accidents on Isla Holbox--0

Isla Holbox Travel Blog

We are on Isla Holbox, arrived yesterday after leaving Rio Lagartos.  It's a tiny beach town with white shell beaches and the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico on one side and little islands in the bay between here and mainland Yucatan on the other.  Supposed to be famous for being able to swim with the whale sharks in July/August.  We've been offered whale shark tours several times, but I think word has finally gotten around the island that it's too expensive for our poor backpacker funds ($50 to $90 U.S.).   It is definitely low tourist season around here, lots of closed up places and empty rooms.

Today we sat on the beach and explored the town a bit.  Perhaps tomorrow one of the less expensive tours to the little islands.  Saw a poster for kitesurfing, but haven't seen anyone doing it.

Here is a picture of one of the taxis on Isla Holbox.  You can rent one for the day, but the whole town/beach area isn't more than a few kms in any direction.

kindoor says:
Thanks Wilma! It wasn't too cold, kind of like a swimming pool. And I must confess that some of the better pictures are Beau's.
Posted on: Jun 05, 2006
wilmamitchel says:
I finally figured out how to do this blog thing - sort of. Your pictures are so wonderful and your writing is so entertaining. I would never have gone in that water in the cave - you're brave.
Posted on: Jun 03, 2006
Looking down the beach at Isla Hol…
Looking down the beach at Isla Ho…
Isla Holbox