Black beaches and turtles

Monterrico Travel Blog

Today we left our highlands base of Antigua to head for the beach instead of back to Guatemala City.  It made more sense to go south because we´re going to El Salvador.  I set Maximon up in our hostel room last night and gave him some rum and some money and asked him to stop messing with me.  Hopefully my luck will improve.

We chose to go to the beach town of Monterrico because it has a backpacker set up and a turtle refuge.  The waves were huge, so no Pacific ocean swimming for me, but our hotel did have a nice pool.  The change in temperature from the highlands to the coast is unbelievable.  It´s a two hour drive, but almost immediately after you pass the Volcan de Fuego the air is hot and sticky.

The turtle refuge was okay.  When the turtles come ashore to lay eggs, the refuge workers and volunteers collect the eggs for incubation so people don´t steal them.  Then once the babies hatch they carry them back to the beach and send them back to the ocean.  You can help for 10 quetzales ($1.20 ish).  Sadly, they didn´t have any eggs while we were there.  We did see other endangered species...iguanas and caimans.  And we did an early morning canoe tour of the mangrove marshes.

Tomorrow it´s off to El Salvador via chicken bus.

photo by: SaffaAussie