On the move

Tremadog Travel Blog

The Welsh Assembly building

Living in the U.K. can be very expensive. Luckily, if you're willing to forego many conveniences of modern life (namely hot water, indoor plumbing, and heating), you can save a lot of money. My shack will cost me about £50 for May and my only other expenses are £10-15 worth of food every week. Because of this pence-pinching, I now have enough extra money to do some unplanned travelling around the U.K.

I left Swansea Tuesday morning by train and after four hours arrived in the mid-Wales 'town' of Machynlleth. My reason for stopping here was the nearby Centre for Alternative Technology, an eco-village founded in the 1970s, famed for being the best of its kind in Europe. Upon entering the Centre, you are hauled up a hillside using a large water-powered lift. Cool! The Centre had a number of interesting displays, many of them new this year.

Even works on cloudy days!
I enjoyed the exhibit on energy sources and the sustainable home most of all, but much of the information I already knew. The place soon became packed with hordes of schoolkids playing on all of the displays and I was glad I arrived early.

My next stop was to be a hostel at Pen-y-Pas, a trailhead for Mt. Snowdon, the biggest peak in England and Wales. Unfortunately I missed my connection and had to locate another place to stay at the last minute. After wandering through the rain, I ended up late at night at a hostel in Tremadog, a very tiny two-street town in Snowdonia National Park. I'm glad to have a cheap place to sleep for the night, as the alternatives were B&Bs, which can be 4-8 times more expensive! Tomorrow I'll try again to get to Mt. Snowdon.

A British beer garden