My first fortnight

Swansea Travel Blog

Bishop's Woods, Swansea

Well, I've now been in Swansea for a couple weeks and it's time for an update. Swansea itself isn't that great. I've heard fellow travellers call it a 'pretty shitty city' and an 'ashtray'. Even it's most famous son, the poet Dylan Thomas, called it an 'ugly, lovely town.' Luckily, I've been staying with Tom, who lives outside of town, in the community of Holts field. I'm having a good time here so far. Tom's friends and family are all really nice and they're fun to hang out with. There's a good feel of community here in Holts field.

Just past Swansea is the Gower peninsula, which is a beautiful limestone-covered region that juts out into the Bristol Channel. This is where I do most of my 'travelling' at this stage.

Carreg Cennen Castle
I have hiked the entire coastline from Swansea as far as Pennard, about 13 km as the swan flies. Along the way I've climbed numerous cliffs, pestered dozens of sheep (they pee when they're scared), and explored two seaside caves. I have a guide book of hiking trails, but I'm not very good at following the directions and I frequently find myself climbing through gorse or hiking along precipitous sheep paths. It is really beautiful in the Gower though and all the hiking will be good practice for the time to come in the alps later.

I've been fortunate enough to explore a few other parts of South Wales. Most notably, Tom's friends Seren and Dai took Jen and I to Carreg Cennen castle, just on the outskirts of Brecon Beacons national park. Although the castle was a bit decayed, it was perched on a high hill and the view of the surrounding countryside was impressive. The castle was also built upon an old cavern, and we trekked down into the underground lair, which shows signs of habitation from the Stone Age.

After sleeping in Tom's room for the past couple weeks, and by the next update I'll have a place of my own. I've also managed to get my hands on a library card, so I can use the internet now and updates should be easier to make.

Bishops Woods, Swansea