A Welsh Wedding

Swansea Travel Blog

I helped Tom prepare this Honeymoon Suite in the woods

I arrived back in Swansea from my little Welsh/Scottish trip last Wednesday after a 14 hour bus ride. Unfortunately I was late and had had to catch some random bus that I was only vaguely certain would take me to the right place. I asked the driver and passenger for further directions, but unfortunately they sent me astray. I ended up walking with all my bags through a muddy farmer's field (barefoot to keep my shoes clean) at midnight, with no idea where I was going. About an hour later, I did manage to figure out my way home and was quite relieved to see my shack. Exhausted after a long day, I climbed into my slug suit and fell asleep.

The rest of the days that week were uneventful as I rested and Tom and his family were busy preparing for the wedding of Tom's sister, Fern, on Saturday.

The real ceremony in the old church
I was fortunate to be invited to the ceremony, even though I had only met the bride and groom a month before. The civil ceremony took place at the city hall in Swansea, but the couple didn't consider this to be the "official" wedding. To exagerate this idea, Fern wore a poofy wedding dress she bought on eBay and her fiance, Mark wore a suit with a frilly shirt. Their wedding rings were terribly gaudy and I think came from a second-hand shop.

The "real" ceremony took place that afternoon on Tom's family's land. There sits an old ruined church from pre-Christian times and the plants had been cleared out for the ceremony, which made it a beautiful occasion for such an event. The event was led by Tom's Dad, clad in a battered trench coat and an old hat. A choir sang to enliven the ceremony and it was the most unique wedding I've been to (and I've been to a Halloween themed wedding). After the ceremony, the party ran deep into the night, with crowds of people showing up and tons of bands performing for the happy newlyweds and their guests.

I helped Tom prepare this Honeymoo…
I helped Tom prepare this Honeymo…
Swansea