North Wales

Caernarfon Travel Blog

Caernarfon Castle

My last stop in Wales is in Caernarfon, an old walled city grown up around a forbiding castle. The castle has been declared a World Heritage Site, and it was the location where Prince Charles received his Prince of Wales title. It definitely dominates over the town. I went inside to take a tour and it was pretty impressive. It is also well-stocked with various fortifications which are (fortunately) no longer in use. You can climb up the towers and check out the view of the city and nearby Snowdonia park. The most famous of the spires is Eagle tower, which features three stone eagles perched on top. Time has taken its toll though, and only one of the eagles is still distinguishable.

I also got a chance to check out nearby Segontium, sight of an ancient Roman camp, from which they completed their conquest of Wales. Very little remains of the settlement other than the foundations. The free museum nearby has some interesting artifacts though, such as old Roman coins recovered from the site. To finish the day, I watched the beautiful sunset over the castle.

Tomorrow I have no idea where I'll end up. Ireland perhaps?

Sunset