Paris & Normandy - October 2000

Paris Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries

Since this was my frist trip to Europe, a place I have wanted to go since childhood, I was especially excited. I enjoyed every part of the process including the stand by travel. This meant that not only was I going to France but I was flying first class for (at the time) free. It was pure luxury.

We arrived very early the next morning and having been so excited by the hustle and bustle of a trans-atlantic flight (the movies, the food, the endless supply of wine) I ignored my partner's warning not to drink too much and to try and get some sleep. I paid heavily the next day.

We arrived at the hotel far too early to check in but the owner and his daughter agreed to let us store our bags in what would become our room at some point after 3PM that day. I was still excited and buzzing, jet lag had not yet slowed me down. We walked the Champs Elysees and looked at the shops, we visited the Arc de Triumphe and Le Tour Eiffel and with each stop I gradually wore down. By the time we got to "le tour" I was a zombie. I looked up, made a comment and was ready for bed.

We decided to "take a nap" and get up in time for a late dinner somewhere close by and start our sightseeing the next day. What truly happened was we awoke at 5AM having slept through the night and we were famished. Nothing really opens that early in Paris so we had to suffice with an hour's wait, a coke and some bread from the market beside our hotel.

The rest of the time in Paris was the usual. We saw all the sights, visited the Moulin Rouge, got crepes nutella late at night and made the world's fastest trip through Le Louvre. We boarded the train to Normandy a few days later and had a great visit with my partner's old friends...parents of students he taught in Deauville's exchange program.

More on Normandy next time...

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
photo by: Sweetski