wk 2 performance

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

We’ve all commented on how this city is inspired and modeled after those in Europe. Part of this euro feel comes from a great appreciation of the arts, artists, and their contribution to the society. Performances here are in abundance. I think we have had a really amazing overview of how the city approaches this part of entertainment. We’ve been exposed to so many different forms of expression through performance which really ads to the flavor of getting to know a city. There is no comparison to what we are used to in Atlanta. Touring the Colon Theatre is just a really extreme view of what the people do to keep this aspect of their culture alive… things that we throw away in the U.S. I am amazed that the theatre still employs so many artists to keep everything going.
street performers on florida av
The shoe room was unbelievable. So many handmade shoes specifically crafted for a performance. I can’t even imagine what the room is like where they store the thousands of costumes. And the shows are sold out! People buy season tickets and plan to go all the time to the opera, symphony, ballet. Its beautiful. I don’t think its possible to keep such a production afloat if there wasn’t the demand for it from the public. People have to want to include such art in their lives in order for it to be provided. It seems that we don’t have as much performances like these in our culture because not enough people are asking for it. Of course we have these same forms at home, but all we hear about is how much they struggle and how many have disappeared. We have experienced multiple forms of performance. Just this last week the jazz festival was in town. A trip to Notorious for some Latin jazz was a treat. Not that this was only open for the jazz festival though. Every local or student that I mentioned this place to knew immediately what I was talking about. It’s a small place, but supported and busy every night. Tango is in a category all of its own concerning the culture of Buenos Aires. The connection is unique to this place. For years now tango has been exported as Bs As culture. It has been used as tool of recognition for the city all over the globe. Here though, tango is used for performance and spectator entertainment, but is also being integrated back into the culture through a younger group. What happens with this new interest is hard to predict. It sure is fun though to be a part of. I think back at home it’s harder to involve yourself in these kind of activities. The culture just doesn’t lend itself to this. I would like to think that once I’m home I will be more willing to go out of my way to look for such entertainment and involve more people with me. It just seems so natural here and easy. But that’s probably because we have a cultural activities planner to help us with that.