First Night in The BIG Apple

New York Travel Blog

Jamie and I

I am a west coast girl. Even though I'm currently living in the Big Easy, I still consider myself a Californian at heart. Growing up I always dreamed of moving to New York and having a fabulous life and going to all of the famous fabulous places. Well, things did not end up that way and as I grew up I somehow developed a fear of even going to New York, thinking it would be dirty and scary and I'd get shot and die and no one would know who I was (and yes I live in New Orleans now....).

Alas, I finally was invited to join my friend Jamie to partake on a free hotel room and some free meals up in New York. Any fear I may have had transformed into excitement and I booked a flight into Laguardia. I arrived in this tiny airport and thought, "This is what I was scared of?" I waited and finally got on my airport shuttle with some strangers and headed to Manhattan. Words of advice that did help me out were "Always know the street address of your hotel and what streets it falls between," the driver had no idea. But, finally I arrived at the Maritime hotel in Chelsea, bags were carried for me, doors were open, I got a key and I was set.

The first night. After some dinner at the hotel's Italian themed restaurant, Jamie and I did some walking, stupidly in fancy shoes, then got a cab to Time's Square. We were mesmerized by shiny things, and lights and sounds, and tv screens the size of houses. We took some cheesy photos of ourselves and walked around some more until our feet suggested we stop. After trying to find a taxi that took credit cards (hopeless) we got some advice from a bellman at one of the Hilton hotels on how to take the subway and where to get on/off. We braved it into one of the smaller stations (I figured later after using the subway again many times and finding much bigger stations) and waited near some interesting characters.

Our two dollar ticket paid off. We watched out the window of the subway train as signs for stops went by. Using my map we figured out how many stops it "should" be until we got to ours at 14th street and also what stop "should" be the one before ours. We got off at 14th, and after circling the block the wrong direction, we finally made our way back to the Maritime for some must needed rest, a waterfall shower and traffic noises outside our window.

New York