my passion for the game

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Ever since the 1998 World Cup in France I have been consumed by futbol.  The world´s sport then became my own.  It´s not the easiest passion to foster in the United States, a place where bowling takes precedence over a premeir league derby Sunday afternoon.  I was able to go see the US play in the olympics and have seen local league matches before, but seeing Boca Juniors play was an uunreal experience.  I´m not trying to sound condescending but the experience meant more to me than the other students.  Reading books on the history of  Real Madrid and hearing how the stadium roars makes my hair stand on end.  Knowing how the crowd singing ´You´ll Never Walk Alone´ at halftime was the moment that reseurrected Liverpool in the 2005 champions league final.  Those memories in my head, you can only replay them so many times before they become just another thought.  The atmosphere was electric at times.  People standing on top each other trying to catch a glimpse of the goal scorer.  It was complete chaos when the league trophy was lifted.  No online account or video clip can properly capture the phenomenal experience of the match.  Walking into the stadium you wonder what great plays will be made and you imagine yourself making the perfect pass or scoring the goal that no one could have imagined.  Simply put,  I was like a little boy again, becoming a fan for the first time.