Reno - Tahoe

Reno Travel Blog

Walker Lake

I'd plan to see both Lake Tahoe & and Yosimite National Park on this trip.  However the forces of "plane equipment" was against me :)  So I made a choice to see Lake Tahoe.

I visited the North Shore of the lake.  The lake encompasses two states, California & Nevada, I visited via the California side.  Traveling this way took me through the Serria Nevada Mountains - what a  peaceful ride, both the scenery from the car as well as the lake area is amazing.   Also going this route will take you through a quaint little town called Truckee.  Truckee is definitely a place to see if you can.  The town is where the Donner Party, American settlers traveling to California became snowbound and some members resorted to cannabilism because the pass in the Serria Nevada mountains was cut off by a snowstorm.

Another View of Walker Lake
   most of the town of Truckee was named from the Donner settlers.  Of course there's more to the town than that but it makes for interesting conversation...lol!!

Another place I visited was Hawthorne Nevada.  A very small town with mostly retirees, and where I spent most of my time because of work.  I didn't think the town had much to offer until I looked out my window and WOW - Walker Lake - let me tell ya... here's a beautiful freshwater lake in the middle of the desert, literally an oasis!    And a nice little vacation spot if your not into crowded beaches, hangliding & paragliding, & fishing.

Overall I wish I'd had more time but I'm definitely returning to Reno & Tahoe next year.  This is a must see for me next summer or maybe Feb/Mar08!!

North Shore of Lake Tahoe