dinner at the Gasthaus with Lord Mike

Stillwater Travel Blog

good to know

The Gasthaus in Stillwater is a wonderful German restaurant nestled into the tall pines so that one feels they have just stepped into the Black Forest of Germany.  Michael (Lord Mike) and I stopped here for a Friday night dinner and to see how it compares to the Gasthof in Minneapolis

We called ahead for directions and found they were a little busy so we made a reservation as well.  When we got there, we first walked around the grounds.  They have nice little lawn area where they have live music once in a while.  There is a little stage area and plenty of tall pine trees.  Our table wasn't quite ready so we stepped into to the bar to get our German beers.

Michael with the beer
  I got a Paulaner Pilsner and Michael got a dark beer that he had been craving for quite some time - a Hacker Pschorr.

The bar area was German hunting cabin decor - woodwork, lots of mounted antlers, beer on tap, pretzels (the hard, American snack kind) and lots of people in the bar drinking.

We got a table in the back room.  Two sides of the table had a padded bench that ran the entire outer edge of the room.  I took a chair so I could look out at the tall pines.  Michael got the bench so he could watch the accordian player.  The seating had a German feel to it in the sense that the tables seemed a little close and it was very easy to hear your neighbor's conversation.

Our waitress was super friendly and told us about the specials and upcoming events at the Gasthaus.

I look like I've already had a few
  We both got salads with our meal - lettuce salads with string beans and beets and homemade salad dressing.  Michael ordered the special, which was pork stuffed with spinach and something else.  I got the Jagerschnitzel, which was lightly breaded pork with a mushroom sauce.  The pork was so tender and juicy.  Just delicious!  Mine also came with garlic potato dumplings and red cabbage.  Germans make a really yummy red cabbage and you don't see that on menus often, so I try to order it when I can.  Which is usually only at German restaurants.

We were both full, but the dessert tray looked too tempting.  We split the German Chocolate torte with chocolate cake and cherries.  Yum!  It was very rich and would have been hard to finish on my own.  The food was very good and we were entertained by a woman playing the accordian softly in the background.   It gave a nice German feel to the place, even though I don't know how many German restaurants actually have accordian players...

I went home full and with leftovers for another meal.  This was a nice place.   I'll definitely be back the next time I crave German food and can't afford a plane ticket to Germany.

Michael with the beer
I look like Ive already had a few
I look like I've already had a few