Twins game at the Metrodome one year anniversary of the bridge collapse

Minneapolis Travel Blog

outside of the dome

My friend invited me to the Twins baseball game because they had an extra (free) ticket for tonight.  Oddly enough it was exactly one year ago to this date that the I-35W bridge collapsed over the Mississippi River killing 13 people.  What was odd about it was that there was no recognition at the game tonight - unless it happened while I was out getting food.  The bridge was overloaded with rush hour traffic - people leaving Minneapolis after work and people heading in for the Twins game.  Fortunately I was at home helping get ready for my sister's wedding that weekend but several people contacted me to make sure I was safe (thank you friends and family!).  I can't help but think about the bridge collapse and how it changed people's lives.

eating $5 brats
  It made me extremely nervous to drive over bridges.  But some people lost loved ones or were injured themselves.  My heart goes out to them.

On a more light hearted note, my friends picked me up and we parked in a ramp a few blocks from the metrodome.  We got inside and fought the mob (we went left and traffic was moving right).  After an overpriced brat and beer we found our seats.  Awesome!  Row 11!  Right along the third base line behind the Twins' dugout.  Great view - we could actually SEE the players.  We didn't catch any fly balls - the nearest one was about 5 rows behind us.  The game was a little slow until about the 5th inning when players actually got on base.  Then Joe Mauer (the nice to look at catcher) hit a home run and the Twins ended up winning the game over the Indians 4-1.

Yay!

The Twins currently play in the Metrodome - a big stadium topped by a bubble.  Its an older stadium but I like it because it's one of a kind (or at least I think it is).  The dome is held up by positive pressured air and is made of a teflon coated fiberglass.  The air pressure keeps it inflated and you enter the stadium through revolving doors to keep the air pressure in.  The best part is leaving the game because when you go through a regular door the air just blows you out.  You can feel it pushing you up to the door and then whoosh!  you're outside.  Hold on to your cap!  The dome has a low ceiling and occasionally baseballs hit the roof.  Oops!  Since the roof is white and transmits light, players often lose the ball in the ceiling (rather than the sun).  In any case, it's a fun way to spend an evening, especially when you didn't have to pay for the ticket!

The Twins are building a new stadium in Minneapolis but I don't know when that will be completed.

The roof of the dome
The roof of the dome
The lovely Joe Mauer (catcher)
The lovely Joe Mauer (catcher)
The Twins infield
The Twins' infield
Who wants cotton candy?
Who wants cotton candy?
It wont fit in my mouth!
It won't fit in my mouth!
Yum yum yum
Yum yum yum
Joe Mauer seconds before his HOME …
Joe Mauer seconds before his HOME…
Me and Jess at the game
Me and Jess at the game
We had great seats - row 11!
We had great seats - row 11!
people leaving the stadium
people leaving the stadium
Whoosh! (thats me saying Ahhhh!)
Whoosh! (that's me saying Ahhhh!)
Metrodome at night