Grand Portage State Park and falls

Grand Portage Travel Blog

Pigeon River Falls at Grand Portage

Grand Portage State Park is on the border of Canada and the US, on the US side.  The Pigeon River separates Canada and Minnesota. The waterfalls that is part of the "grand portage" is only a short hike in from the parking lot.  The Grand Portage is a 9 mile portage, where fur traders traveling on Lake Superior had to carry, or portage, their boats and gear over land until they reach navigable waters again.

I was the only one at the park and it was near sunset (4 pm).  I enjoyed a nice quiet hike along the snowy trails, found the geocache in the park, and visited the overlook.  This waterfall was frozen as well.  Not quite and big and spectacular as Kakabeka, but still pretty good sized.  You could hear the roar of the falls before you could see it, so you knew it was still flowing under all that ice.

snowy trails at Grand Portage

I also stopped at Judge Magney and Cascade River State Parks on the way back so I could find the geocaches there.  It was dark when I arrived at both parks, so no photos but the park signs!  I did a nice little loop hike at Judge Magney - but I just hiked it in the dark by flashlight.

I had trouble with the cache at Cascade River.  Here was my log for a "did not find":

No luck for me here.  Had a hard time finding the right trail at first.  I hiked out in the dark and searched by flashlight.  Previous logs suggested it was clever, but it was too well hidden for me.  I searched for a long time.  I think the dark and snow made it difficult.  Then my flashlight died and I had to abandon the search.  I had a back up light, but I didn't want that to die, too!  On the way back, I'm pretty sure I heard wolves howling.  And I'm pretty sure they were saying something like: "lone hiker out at Cascade River!  Dinner!"  So I walked back to the car as fast as I could on those icy trails.

Sometimes I can scare myself silly.

Grand Portage State Park sign
Grand Portage State Park sign
Judge Magney sign
Judge Magney sign
Cascade River sign - it had starte…
Cascade River sign - it had start…
Grand Portage