Gooseberry Falls and a campfire

Beaver Bay Travel Blog

Gooseberry Falls

My friend works at Cove Point Lodge and scored me an awesome lakeside room (they weren't busy).  Before checking in, I stopped at Gooseberry Falls State Park and visited the frozen waterfalls.  You can walk right next to the falls in any season, but it was pretty cool to see them frozen.  It was a little slippery though.

I also hiked out to the park geocache, which was hard to do on the icy trail.  I wished I had some ice grippers for my boots.  I set off near sunset and the hike was actually longer than I thought it was.  Partly because I decided to do a loop trail and take a different route back than the way I came.  (Even in the dark, I like to see different things!)  I had a flashlight, but it was getting low on batteries, so I tried to walk in the dark as much as I could.

Frozen falls
  It was hard under tree cover, but when it opened up, it was just light enough to see with the moonlight reflecting off the snow.  I was happy that the only wildlife I saw was a deer :)

I finally checked in to the hotel a bit late. They actually built a campfire (outside) every night!  They gave me a little packet of materials to make s'mores (2 graham crackers, a Hershey chocolate bar, and 4 marshmallows).  I sat by the campfire for quite awhile, since I was still bundled up from my hiking.  It was really quite relaxing to sit by the fire and look up at the brilliant stars.  I stayed out there for about an hour before I was too cold and had to come in.

Frozen falls from the top