Cascade River, Temperance River and snowshoeing

Lutsen Travel Blog

Waterfalls at the lodge

I started this morning with a quick visit to the waterfalls on the lodge property.  They weren't much, but they were a nice little waterfall tucked in the back (natural, not mad-made).

I returned to Cascade River State Park in the morning, armed with a hint from my friend.  I was able to find the geocache and thought it was funny that nothing looked familiar during the day than from last night.  No wolves this time, either.  I was able to enjoy the scenery a little more.  No waterfalls along my hike, but there was a partially frozen stream.

I stopped at Temperance River State Park and enjoyed a nice hike along the river.  Unfortunately, that cache was missing!  Bummer! That means I have to come back up here to finish this series!  Oh well, still a nice (but cold) little hike.

view of the lodge from the waterfalls
  I was glad I had stopped at Ben Franklin in Grand Marais on my way to Canada - they have almost everything you need! I bought a pair of crampons for my snow boots (rubber slip-ons with little spikes to grip the ice).  I used them on the trail here!

My next stop was George Crosby Manitou State Park.  This park is a few miles inland, so it tends to get a bunch more snow than along the shore.  The road to this park wasn't plowed all the way and stopped about 1/3 mile from the main parking lot.  I strapped on my snowshoes and hiked out there.  It was a really fun hike.  I was the only one there (at least the only parked car there).  I followed some trails and made my way to where the geocache was.  Only there was at least a foot of snow everywhere!  I had a small shovel that I tried to use, but there was just too much snow to move.  I knew I had to come back anyway for the Temperance cache, so I didn't worry about it too much.  I really enjoyed my snowshoe hike and the peacefulness of this park.   It was starting to get dark though, so I decided to hike out and head back.

Waterfalls at the lodge
view of the lodge from the waterfa…
view of the lodge from the waterf…
Driving north on Hwy 61