a 70 degree hike in November?

Lynd Travel Blog

Redwood River from Railroad bridge

The weather was gorgeous here - unseasonably warm.  It was 70-75 degrees, which is a good 20 degrees above average for southwestern Minnesota for this time of year.  Normally I watch football on Sundays, but I didn't think my game would be on tv and it was too nice to stay in.  Instead, my friend and I went to Camden State Park for another round of hiking.  The scenery was much different now that most of the leaves had fallen, but the sun was shining warm and bright and it was a very nice couple of hours in the woods.

We took the River Trail, which follows the Redwood River - a trout stream.  It was so warm that we saw two garter snakes out.  Snakes?  In Minnesota in November?  You hardly see snakes here in the summer!  Cool!  We got out to the far point on the trail and we saw three deer across the river.

Redwood River along river trail
  They ran up a steep slope to escape from us, just in case we had any intention of crossing the river to get them.

On the way back, I heard a train whistle and I wanted to watch the train cross over that high bridge the trail went under.  So we waited.  And waited.  And finally gave up.  Maybe we were hearing things.  We crossed under the bridge and soon we could hear the rumble of the train.  It really was coming!  Yay!  I stopped to watch it pass - I love watching trains.  My friend was a good sport and waited for me (plus I had the car keys).

After that, we passed quite a few others out for a hike - now that they had returned from church and Sunday dinner.  After the hike, we stopped by the little swimming pond.  It was crazy to see all the kids out playing in the sand and wading in the stream.  The water was still really cold, but the air was plenty warm.

When we got back, I found out that my football game had been on tv and only got to see part of the last quarter.  Oh well.  It really was too nice of a day to waste inside.  The photos here are from my friend, as I haven't figured out how to get my photos off my new camera yet.

looking back on the river
yay!  a train!
yay! a train!
trout stream
trout stream
Eww...I wouldnt swim in this
Eww...I wouldn't swim in this
little pond from the dam