An unfortunate stop over in Basel :(

Basel Travel Blog

Me and Nikki on the train

So today was supposed to be the day that we were going to Lucerne in Switzerland. But unfortunately this did not quite work out the way we had planned. It was a Saturday and we had booked Backpackers Lucerne for 2 nights (the Saturday and the Sunday). Our train was gonna take awhile to get there so we wouldn't be arriving until around 6 or 7pm. The rules of the hostel are that you have to call if you will be checking in later than 5pm or else they will give your room away. Well we had to go back to Brussels to catch the train to Switzerland and while we were there we bought some calling cards so that we could call and let them know that we would be arriving after 5pm. So I call and they tell me that we don't have a reservation for that night and that we reserved for sunday and monday.

Melissa and Yo on the train
Well we were like WTF cause I swear we reserved for Saturday and Sunday. So they told us to come still and to call when we got to Basel to see if some other people didn't show up before 5 and didn't call so we would get their beds. So for the whole 5 hour train ride from Brussels to Basel were like well this sucks, hopefully we have somewhere to sleep tonight. We were on the same train as Nikki and Yo but they just got off an hour before us so that was cool we got to visit with them more. I swear though I have never met 2 guys who talked so much!! They talked more than us. Anyways so we get to Basel and we call the hostel and it turns out they don't have any room but she gives us the numbers of some other hostels in Lucerne and for some in Basel.
The Basel train station
No other hostels had room in Lucerne but Backpackers Basel did have room so we booked for 1 night there. We had some dinner and then we tried to find out how to get to Backpackers basel. We were supposed to take the tram but we were so confused as to where to go to get on the tram. A nice lady could tell that we were confused so she helped us but I think she ended up just confusing us more. So we just went back to the station and asked one of the rail people and they directed us to where we had to catch the tram. So we get to the hostel and it sucked. There were no people staying in it and it was soo quiet and boring. After we dropped our bags we decided to venture out and find a store or something but the only thing open was a strip club. As we are walking back to the hostel we met some people...but they were creepy guys who asked us to smoke a joint with them. Uhh no thank you. So on our SATURDAY night we just went back to the hostel and went to bed. Soo grr what a waste of a day in Europe!

Basel Hotels & Accommodations review
This probably won't be a very good review as I am quite biased against this place as we had to stay here when we didn't want to. We were only there fo… read entire review
Basel