Crazy Interlaken adventure

Lucerne Travel Blog

How swiss!

Today turned out to be a fun day full of randomness and spontaniousness! (if that's a real word..) We were supposed to take the Cogwheel up to Mount Pilatus today but when we woke up it was cold, pouring rain, and a little bit windy. So even though we got a discount on the tour because we had Eurail passes we decided not to do it as we wouldn't be able to see any of the pretty views because of all the clouds. So were sitting eating lunch, trying to decided what to do when we decided to use our eurail passes to their full advantage and go somewhere else for the day. As were looking through the timetable we see that there is a train leaving for Interlaken in 5 minutes!! So we literatly grab all our stuff and run to the train station to catch the train.

Standing in snow!!
We make it just in time! As soon as we get on the train it starts to leave so we start looking for a place to sit. The train was pretty packed but we finally find 2 scattered seats among some boys. Hehe boys. Anyways it turns out those boys were part of a football (American football) team consisting of 42 people from Cleveland, Ohio here to play against some Swiss people. So ofcourse Melissa and I were like, yes, this is sweet! So we startaed talking to them and stuff and they were pretty nice and funny. Anyways it's raining out and as we get higher into the alps it starts to snow. All of a sudden the train stops and were told that everyone has to get off. So here we are just standing at some random train station in the snow. Apparently the snow had made some trees fall down and trains couldn't get by so we were gonna have to take a bus to another train station where we could then get on a different train.
The 4 of us at dinner
So were on the bus with these football guys going down all these crazy hills in the snow going pretty fast. It was pretty sketchy and I was kind of scared lol. Anyways we make it to the next train station and we get on another train and we finally make it to Interlaken yay! Once we get to Interlaken we realise we don't know much about the city except that it's crazy for extreme sports (which we don't have time for). We say goodbye to our football buddys and kind of walk around the city a bit. Go to some stores and such and Melissa makes a few calls home. We were pretty hungry by this time so we got together with Dave and Derrick from the football team and go get some pasta. After that we go back to the train station to head back to Lucerne.
Melissa and I on our 50%...60% chance train
Anyways we get on the train and they start making a whole bunch of announcements in Swiss so we asked the ticket checker guy what they were saying. He said that there was still problems on the track and there was only a 50% chance that we were gonna make it back to Lucerne. So Melissa was like, "But we have to make it back to Lucerne, thats where we're staying, all our stuff is there!" So then the guys like, "OK 60% chance..." But fortunately we did make it back to Lucerne around 9:30ish. Anyways once we got back, we just went to the hostel and went to bed. All in all was a pretty good day.

Lucerne City Rating:
1/2 Weather
+3 bonus points
Total=7/10

ottielisa says:
haha the full story...well that is nothing special with the snow here...happens very often!:D makes this boring place a bit more exiting:D!
Posted on: Nov 26, 2007
Traveling_Brian says:
Next time, stay for the extreme sports!

Good move on skipping Mount Pilatus. I bought tickets to Mount Pilatus before I arrived in Switzerland, so I used them even with the crummy weather... it wasn't all that exciting without the view.

See my blog for the story and photos! :)
Posted on: Nov 07, 2007
The 4 of us at dinner
Melissa and I on our 50%...60% cha…
Melissa and I on our 50%...60% ch…
Switzerland is so pretty
Derrick and Melissa
Derrick and Melissa
Yummy swiss chocolate
Yummy swiss chocolate
Look how blue the water is!
Look how blue the water is!
Lucerne Hostels review
This hostel in general was a pretty good hostel but I didn't like it very much. It was fairly big and very clean (although they kicked you out during … read entire review
Lucerne