Manila 2

Manila Travel Blog

Hi!!!

Well we've just about finished our 2nd day in Manila. The weather was a bit nicer for us today!

We spent yesterday wondering around Rizal Park - its a massive park near Manilla bay which is named after a Filipino hero who was executed there. There was a lovely little butterfly house - not many butterflies but I got a good pic of a big one! We then went to Intramurous which is an old spanish walled city within Manila where all the higher classes (i.e the spanish at the time) lived. There is a lovely cathedral and a fort with a moat which you can explore. And we did. We had lunch in this really old spanish manision which Imdela Marcos renovated - full of old antiques and stuff!

This morning we visited Manila Zoo which is only a 10min walk from our lovely hotel.
a Big butterfly
I have used the word lovely here because it is lovely apart from: the RANK smell of damp/mould which greats you as soon as you enter the room and the cockroaches (ok only 2 so far and one of them was dead!) But what can you expect for 6 quid a night?!! Its does have a Starbucks directly underneath it and its much cheaper than starbucks in the UK! Manila Zoo is the worst zoo I've ever been to but at the same time the best zoo I've ever been to, as you can get REALLY CLOSE to all the animals as you will see from the pictures! It needs a bit of a revamp methinks...

This afternoon we visited Makati (which is the business district of the city) and had a walk around one of the massive shopping malls (Adam loved this part!). Got a taxi back which took ages in the Manila traffic which is crazy.
Casa Manila (old Spanish House)
At least it had air con! Its seems there are no rules for driving over here - the only requirement is that you make full use of the horn at every oppurtunity!

We leave Manila tomorrow morning to catch a flight to another Island called Palawan where we will be staying for a while. Hopefully we'll be soaking up some sun there!

PS I want to just tell you how friendly the people are over here - even if they aren't trying to sell you anything! When we walked into the starbucks (which I know I keep mentining but we have only been in there once!) ALL the staff greeted us and when we ordered our drinks they asked our names - which we thought was a bit odd - and when your drink is ready they say "Coffee for Amy"!!! I love it!!! Even the policemen carrying big guns say hello as you pass them in the street! Great!

Bye for now

Amy (and Adam of course!)
XX

abubu says:
nice... filipinos are really friendly u know... good to know u had a great time in manila.
Posted on: Jan 10, 2008
planisphere says:
why bothered to check out the zoo? hehehe
Posted on: Nov 13, 2007