Cearphilly, Wales

Caerphilly Travel Blog

The beautiful drive through Wales.
I had now been in staying in England for three months. I had been to Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland and of course England. I had one place that I still needed to see to fulfill my trip to the entire Kingdom. The constituent country of Wales.

I only had one free day left before I had to pack up and head to London to await my journey home. I filled up the hired (rental) car the night before, I made sure the GPS was packed and woke up early for a new adventure. I am never one to fully plan a trip so I pick my first destination to Caerphilly. I never heard of the town before until I heard a bad joke on the English radio:
How do the Welsh eat there cheese? :: Very...Caerphilly.
I didn’t understand it until I looked at the map and that was the reason why I felt like I had to go there.
Caerphilly Castle

The drive heading from Cambridge to Wales was not difficult (thanks to the GPS). Driving out from Cambridge the countryside was not very exciting. Dawn struck before I thought I was entering Wales and then the beauty took over. Next thing I knew, I was driving next to rock faces, through tunnels, and over creek beds. This was now a land full of grand hills contrasted by stunning valleys. Trees grew over the roads as if I was in a tunnel, but with the raise of sunlight still able to shine heavenly through. To sum it up: it was a pleasant drive.

Caerphilly was a quaint town with a castle at its center. I did not have the time nor did I want to spend the money to go in the castle. However, it did look quite magnificent from the outside. I stayed long enough to walk the streets a bit and stop to eat a delicious danish. I wanted to cover a lot of ground that day so I decided to keep moving. My next stop would be Cardiff.

The tunnels.
The tunnels.
Walking the streets of Caerphilly.
Walking the streets of Caerphilly.
All of a sudden all the kids charg…
All of a sudden all the kids char…
Caerphilly