Scuba Day

North Male Atoll Travel Blog

The cross-island creek

I'm a really keen scuba diver, and the last time I was in the Maldives (with my parents in 2004) I did 3 dives, the last a drift dive along a reef which teemed with sharks chasing tuna...it was fantastic!

This time I knew I probably wouldn't do as many dives...mark isn't a diver and he's also not the best on choppy seas and today was a bit more overcast (but still dry, that's the main thing) so I booked in for one dive to see what things were like, although I knew I had to do my last dive 'tomorrow' before we flew.

So, after a lovely day lounging on the beach in the sun, I headed round to the dive centre, which was right beside reception.

Lazing on a sunny afternoon
I was on a boat with the hotel manager and some other guests, and was buddied with one of the dive masters, which I was quite pleased with...I'm never too confident just swimming off with another non-local diver!

We zoomed out to the reef on one of the centre's boats, and jumped in. I just about toppled over the edge of the boat...I've never been very good at staggering around with the tank and fins on! We dropped down to about 10metres and drifted along on a bit of a current. We saw one shark pretty far off in the distance and a mean looking Moray Eel peered out at us from a rock, but other than that, it wasn't the most exciting of dives...the water was chilly and with bad visibility, and I was quite glad to get back to the surface if I'm honest. I was cold and bored...so no more dives this holiday. Mark also panics when I do daft things like diving, so I think he was glad I was back on land in one piece and not wanting to go out again. I'm just glad he wasn't with me when I bungee jumped in 2001!

So we had another yummy dinner to look forward to...I had fabulous fresh pasta with prawn and salmon, cherry tomatoes and capers, and my favourite Caprese salad to start with lots of balsamic vinegar on it!

We'd booked our Candlelit Dinner for tomorrow night, which is part of the hotel's 'treats' for honeymooners.

And so to bed...

beachbunny1206 says:
I was hoping the diving would be really good. That is what I herd.
Posted on: Oct 01, 2009
mfmcp1982 says:
sadly not...the weather not being so good meant the pics wouldn't have come out, so there was no point this time. Maybe another dive!
Posted on: Oct 23, 2007
AndiPerullo says:
No underwater shots? :(
Posted on: Oct 22, 2007
Lazing on a sunny afternoon
Me at Breakfast...the suns out!
Me at Breakfast...the sun's out!
Mark posing at Reethi
Mark posing at Reethi
The other end of the creek
The other end of the creek
Mark was far too tempted to just j…
Mark was far too tempted to just …
The view from my hammock
The view from my hammock
Seaplane
Seaplane
Mark at din-dins...we ate so much!
Mark at din-dins...we ate so much!
The gardens by night