Viva la Mexico!

Cozumel Travel Blog

A Mexican Sunrise

Bienviendo to the home of sombreros, tequila, and bull fighting...or is it?  Mexico is full of stereotypes and I saw none of them first hand.  The only sombreros I saw were on the heads of frat boys and a group of Marines who just got back from Iraq.  I saw no matadors strolling the streets nor did I see any salsa dancing or maracas. Instead, I found a beautiful city nestled on the Caribbean Sea.

Today almost all of our group booked a high speed catamaran tour that would take us to a great snorkel spot, a fantastic beach and they would get us all boozed up before we were let loose on the streets of Cozumel.  The crew of our catamaran was fantastic.  It was headed by a barefooted captain who steered the catamaran with his feet, his shipmates were all skilled with dancing, bartending and snorkeling.

They were brilliant!  The first activity we did was snorkeling.  They took us out to a reef and provided us with all the gear we would need to experience the fish on a very personal level.  The fish weren't at all startled by or presence, but that was probably because we had chum with us for them to eat.

After snorkeling the booze started flowing very freely as we sailed to a nearby beach for an hour of rest and relaxation.  There were plenty of beach chairs, hammocks, and foam floats for all.  We had an absolute blast digging up random things from the bottom of the sea.  We found a sea cucumber, bits of coral and some really neat shells.  We stayed there for about an hour before we boarded the boat and headed back to our ship.

As we sailed back the music started pumping again.
Me in Cozumel
  A conga line formed and as we danced around the boat shots of margaritas were poured into our mouths.  Yummy!

Unfortunately, by the time we got back to mainland I was far too intoxicated to go out shopping.  I attempted to go out but the heat was not meshing well with the booze that was in my system and I was forced to return to the Legend.  Next time, I'll try to stay sober enough that I can at least pick up some tequila!

Travelmates:  Mom, Dad, Scott, Justin, Melissa, Carol, Tina, Kim, Andrew, Nana, Uncle Rob, Aunt Nancy, Tina and Rob.

hawkeye372 says:
Wow this seemed to be a great vacation Are there anymore trips 4 u in the future?
Posted on: Nov 17, 2007
scubagirl76 says:
nice sunrise!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2007
jenn79 says:
Great blog!! I love that you disbanded those stereotypes straighaway! =)
Posted on: Sep 16, 2007