UnBelize-able

Belize City Travel Blog

If you asked me to plan out the perfect day, I would repeat today over and over again.  Today was simply amazing.  We docked in Belize before sunrise and boarded and air conditioned bus that drove us out of Belize City.  The city itself is nothing to write about, the true beauty of Belize is in the country side.  Full of rolling hills, farms and orchards the countryside is stunning.  Our ride lasted us about 45 minutes and led us to a restaurant area that rented out lockers, water shoes and sold trinkets.  After renting a locker and claiming our head lamp we boarded an old school bus and went for yet another ride.  This one took us deeper into the country side and to Cave Branch, a local park.

The river we tubed in.
  Our guide then handed us our inner tube and led us through a 30 minute hike through the jungle.

Along the way I had a chance to speak to him about the history of Belize.  We talked about slavery, gaining independence from Great Britain and how the natives felt since they became their own country.  Apparently the people of Belize were only given a couple days notice that the declaration was being made and didn't have enough time to react, I got the impression it wasn't well received.

Our hike took us to a part of the river that we had to cross by foot.  This spot was the ending point of our tubing journey, to get to the beginning we had to hike a bit further.  It was here though, that we got our first feel for the water.  It was cool but very welcoming given the heat.

The cave we tubed
  There was a small cliff that many of the guys in our group jumped off of for kicks.

Shortly, we got to a set of stairs that lead us to the mouth of the cave.  We put our tubes in the water and we were whisked away by the current.  Despite having head lamps, the cave was very dark.  It was so awesome!  There were bats inside the cave but they stayed to themselves and didn't bother anyone.  The cave was very spacious which was great since I'm a tad bit claustrophobic.  Throughout the whole tubing experience you had to keep your hands free so that you could paddle.  You don't have to paddle too much, just enough to maneuver your raft in the right direction.   This was such a cool experience!

After we tubed for about an hour, we got to the ending point and hiked back to the bus.

Me after exiting the cave
  We boarded a bus and were taken back to the locker area were we had lunch before we got dressed and claimed our belongings.

Lunch was marvelous!  We had chicken, mashed potatoes and red beans and rice.  It was on par with the cruise food, it was so good!!

Even though our tour was so long, we still had time to shop in port.  The port of Belize has several shops for souvenirs and trinkets.  They have great wood carved animals there that people were going nuts over.  I can't wait to come back to Belize, next time I'm heading for the Mayan Ruins.

1102 Miles from home.
Travelmates:  Mom, Dad, Scott, Justin, Melissa, Carol, Tina, Kim, Andrew, Nana, Uncle Rob, Aunt Nancy, Kirstin , Rob.

Stigen says:
I have to do this too !
Posted on: Aug 28, 2012
thenewextrememimi says:
Cave tubing looks fun! I almost did that tour but opted for Barton Creek and Caracol instead. If you do go back, the Rio On pools were really fun too.
Posted on: Oct 03, 2007
travelman727 says:
Great review! Belize is my favorite Western Hemisphere retreat. I've not yet gone to Cave Branch, but your review makes it a must on my next visit there :-D
Posted on: Oct 03, 2007