Muah! - Grand Cayman

Grand Cayman Travel Blog

Kissing a stingray

Pulling into Grand Cayman was quite suprising.  It was unlike any Carribean island I had visited in the past.  Gone were the lush hillsides and ever present were the stores, restaurants, banks and shipping piers.  This is not at all what I expected but I go into everything with an open mind and remain optimistic that today will be a great day.

Today we scheduled an excursion which would take us on a 30 minute, 4 mile boat ride out to a sand bar known as Stingray City.  On the boat ride over we were briefed on the do's and don'ts of swimming with stingrays.  I had been previously told that all of the barbs were removed from the stingrays tails but this turned out to be untrue.  After all, they weren't in a tank, these were wild stingrays.

Ever since Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray last year the animals have had a bad reputation.  I have to admit I was nervous and apparently so were many other people.  Our tour guide told us that the size of our group was over half the size it typically is.

When our boat pulled up to the sandbar a whole slew of stingrays drifted our way.  I slowly lowered myself into the turquoise water and was instantly greeted by the loving animals.   Oh man was I scared!  After some time in the water I finally got used to them grazing me and I came to enjoy their presence.  I even held one of them and gave 6 of them a great big smooch.  Then, I let one give me a massage, it was so cool!

After our tour, we decided to hit the shops.

I tasted numerous flavors of Tortuga Rum Cakes and sampled many types of rum.  Ah, I love the Caribbean!

For lunch we ate at Paradise Restaurant located right on the shore. I felt it was over priced for what I ordered.  I had a chicken quesdilla and a lemonade and it cost me 15 USD including a 2USD tip.  After lunch we did some shopping before we called it a day.  Despite it's appearance and my initial shock, Grand Cayman proved to be a great port.  It just proves the old addage that different isn't always bad.

760 miles from home
Sights Visited:  Sting Ray City, Paradise Restaurant
Travelmates:  Mom, Dad, Scott, Justin, Melissa, Carol, Tina, Nana, Uncle Rob, Aunt Nancy, Kirstin, Andrew and Kim

lookingtotravelmore says:
I am visiting Grand Cayman in December on my cruise. Thanks for the blog!
Posted on: Aug 25, 2008
scubagirl76 says:
I see your working on your blogs as well. I wish we had done a longer cruise, but my husband could only get a week off.
Posted on: Sep 17, 2007
Me in Grand Cayman
Me in Grand Cayman
Stingrays swarming towards our boa…
Stingrays swarming towards our bo…
Snorkeling with stingrays