Honduras- Who Knew?

Roatan Island Travel Blog

Words cannot express how happy I was to see Roatan this morning when our ship docked in the wee hours of the morning.  I had been anticipating this port ever since I found out that our scheduled stop in Costa Maya, Mexico was being replaced with Roatan.  As soon as I saw the island I knew I would love it, after all, it looked so much like my beloved USVI.

I was so excited about leaving the ship that morning that I couldn't stand it.  This was the first port we didn't have an excursion booked.  We had planned on simply doing a beach day so I packed my back pack with a beach mat, a book, camera, sun block and sun glasses and ran down to the pier to meet the group.

As I waited in line to exit the ship I noticed a lot of people were already getting back onto the ship, this surprised me.  Someone behind me commented on the fact that "this port must suck since so many people are coming back on."  Perhaps it was the men standing around with machine guns that scared them?  Or maybe it was the locals harassing you as soon as you stepped foot onto the main road?  Whatever it was, we decided to press forward and not let the badgering bother us.  We were surrounded by people wanting to take us here or there.  Two children pulled me aside and told me to tell them "No thank you" and keep walking and they would leave me alone.  I did just that and the kids were right, fewer and fewer people were bugging us.
An iguana!
  I feel in love with the children of Roatan.  Later I would learn there are several American/Canadian run orphanages on the island, the kids there were so sweet and kind and genuine.  I felt bad for them.

A man who calls himself "Eddie Murphy" offered to take us around in an air conditioned van and show us the whole island for only 10 dollars a person.  We figured that there were enough of us that we would be safe.  As we walked to his van about 4 people assured us that the was a good person and we would be safe.  2 children also told me the same thing.  Once we got away from the hoards of wanna-be-guides, Roatan was breathtaking.  The people that reboarded the ship right away certainly did miss out.  We took us to some amazing places, we saw two ship wrecks, we sat on a boat dock overlooking the sea, and got to snorkel at this gorgeous reef.

Roatan Island

My dad kept finding all of these fruits naturally growing on the side of the road that he wanted to try.  As we were looking over the shipwreck two children were laughin at him as he picked plums from the trees.  I joked around with the kids in Spanish about my dad's hefty appetite.  They laughed and laughed.

The shopping in Roatan wasn't the best but this wasn't a shopping port.  This was definitely a snorkel and beach port.  It turned out to be nothing like the USVI and exactly like the USVI at the same time.  It was definitely a great port!

Travelmates:  Mom, Dad, Scott, Justin, Melissa, Carol, Tina, Andrew, Kim, Nana, Aunt Nancy, Uncle Rob, Rob and Kirstin.

Me and Eddie Murphy