Slab Day

Ndola Travel Blog

What an event! Men and women from the community and a variety of visitors came to help lay the slab for the school, now that the foundation has been prepared. We had layered underneath with the bricks that did not survive the burning, and the team smashed them all by hand (while I was sick in bed) to add to the foundation.

Now that the day has come to lay the slab, people flocked from all over. Limited by the number of shovels, Laura and I took to the feminine task of water duty (Amenshi!). It was great fun to be with the ladies, though only a couple spoke English – or at least only a couple let on to it! We shared a lot of laughs together, particularly at our attempts to carry the water jugs on our heads. We were quickly accepted, though I’m sure we carried the jugs with a lot less grace than they displayed – without the aid of their hands for balance.

The pump nearby the school broke at one point, and while Laura and I were visiting our water bottles, the ladies disappeared to another borehole far off. We took off down a random trail in the bush and after a long hike came upon their bobbing heads occasionally visible beneath the floating yellow jugs off in the distance. Luckily the pump was fixed by the time we made the journey back to the site. One jug hauled from that distance was enough of an experience.

We learned how to cook Nshima and sat with the ladies, after having our own team lunch of tuna sandwiches – not sad in the least at having missed out on the Nshima.

The project was finished by half three – several hours earlier than expected. Hurrah for great helpers and a great team!

Ndola