AfricaGhanaAccra

Meeting the wonderful families

Accra Travel Blog

So I've been spending my time researching financial needs, grades, etc of the kids here so I can try to get some sponsored when I get back to the states.  I sent out letters to the parents of the kids requesting their permission in addition to possibly getting little mini video interviews to help the cause.  Americans like to know where their money is going so what better way than to show the parents, the kids, and the home if possible?

On Monday, the Ahor and Esuman fathers came to talk to me about the letters.  I never anticipated parents to show up at the school and take time out of their day...a simple response would have been just fine but again, the Ghanaians do things a way I'll never understand.  I mean, I know it's a token of appreciation but still!  They looked so sad and weary...the years had really gotten to them, but they were soooo thankful!

Tuesday a boy named Emmanuel Bediako Tannor pulled me aside and gave his life story to me.  He has no parents, they've passed away, he lives with a random family who only gives him a roof over his head and nothing else.  He wants to be an author so badly and school is important.  He kept pleading me, saying "Madam, I HAVE to go to school.  I, I...I HAVE to madam.  I can not quit school.  I HAVE to finish."  I'd never heard anyone beg for education!  I told him I couldn't promise him everything and as he walked away I broke down into tears.  I went to the office to ask Mr. Aboagye who he was and when I'd heard his name I knew exactly.  That boy has the highest grades in school but I thought he'd been sacked (kicked out) because I couldn't find him in the books because he went by a different name!  I knew I had to help him.  He touched my heart!  That same day, the Yankey family's mother came and was so grateful.  I also received a letter from Mr. Tawaiah, Nina's father that again was sooooo heartfelt and thankful.

I can't believe how grateful the people are here in Ghana.  Even for the opportunity...with no gaurentees, they give what they can.  Values still survive here and unfortunately I can't say much about that back in the states, especially living in LA where everyone's about materialistic values and how to climb the food chain.  Why can't it be like this everywhere?
Accra