AfricaGhanaAccra

Ghanaian Soccer games!

Accra Travel Blog

Whoa! What a day it was today!  First off, I've been having really crazy dreams every night as have 2 of the other volunteers.  It's because of the medicine we take for malaria (doxycycline).  I wish I could remember them when I woke up.  Thos would be interesting enough in themselves!

Today the children had a soccer game with another school.  It took about fifteen minutes to walk to the field.  Nearly the whole school went and as they marched down the streets they sang songs and recited chants to the beat of two boys drumming.  Crazy man, a teacher at school who has a different name and accent everyday, led them off.  Think of a pep rally, but the Ghanaian version...with WAY more energy than I'd ever seen at a pep rally in the states.  Crazy man even made us dance with him (I have video of this ha!) in front of all the kids.  When the other team was spotted coming down the road things got even crazier and LOUD!

I have never seen so much anticipation, excitement, jumping, clapping and yelling ever!  One thing definitely not allowed in the states?  A van arriving full of teammates and doing doughnuts in the middle of the field!  What was scary though was that the children were running behind it with many of them nearly getting hit.  This was the other team of course, who was very cocky (though they WERE good).  Their principle was horrendous though.  I think he was some rich man running the school.  He appeared like many of the controlling coaches of little league teams and such back home.

I left school early...right after lunch to meet Rachael to borrow the phone.  We were supposed to meet at 2 but by 2:45 I was still waiting.  Luckily I made the choice to leave a note and stop at the internet cafe just in case and sure enough she showed shortly, otherwise I would have been on my own for the weekend with no communication because I'm headed to the Volta region.

Today was also the first day I had to ride the tro tro by myself.  It's not so bad really if you know where you're going.  Unfortunately I had to take a route I'd never been so it proved to be somewhat difficult, negotiating fares, understanding the lingo for the different areas of town.  They don't really use names here, just landmarks.  So when they saw Circle, Circle, I'm like what circle?!  Apparently that's a main tro stop because it's called Kwame Nkrumah Circle, in honor of a president and it's a giant roundabout.  Makes sense once you know about it.  The nice thing is that people don't just tell you where to go, they SHOW you when you ask about something.  I had to change tro tros twice.  At the first pick up I learned I was going to a place called Kaneshie.  Well as I was about to get on one I somehow felt awkward about it.  Turns out I would've been on the wrong tro tro.  There are two that go to Kaneshie.  One to the main road and one somewhere else.  The girl that helped me figure this out told me to wait with her sister who was waiting for the one I was.

The sisters name was Doreen.  She was beautiful and extremely nice!  She even paid my fare without me knowing!  Such a kind gesture for someone who probably assumes I have the money.  I told her it was no big deal really and she said "When you do nice things for good people, life will in turn be good to you."  I was planning on paying HER fare for helping me out.  When we left the bus she told me to follow her and she found me my connecting tro tro before saying goodbye and leaving in the opposite direction.  How nice was she?!

Once I arrived at Tema station (a huge transfer point) I had to ask at least ten people (literally) where my next tro tro was.  Eventually a girl named Stella asked me where I was going and she said she'd take me to the right spot.  Like I said, they don't tell you, they show you.  She'd been following the same path and seen me ask all those people and decided to help me.  She's a first year student at the University of Ghana studying political science.  She'll probably work in the ministries one day.  She had a gorgeous smile and a kindness about her that made me feel like I'd known her forever.  I found my tro and and here I am on my ride to the Volta region!
Accra