in search of sweet water

Crete Travel Blog

That's my friends

This is going to be a story good enough for scary movies.

One day our friends got a rental car and I decided to go with them in search of alternative beach. And just to do some sight-seeing. As we were on the north of the island we decided to go down to the South. We wanted to go as far as Sfakia, find a place to swin and sunbathe and then decide if we still want to drive to Preveli or not. It took us some two ours to drive 50km of the mountain roads, but I was already used to it after driving through Spain. The views were very beautiful: mountains, small tavernas, goats everywhere, very rural and relaxing. Finally we drove through Sfakia following the map that said there has to be some beach not far from it.

Those two dots in the center are me and my friend
And in about 2 km we found that the road started going backwards to the mountains. And we saw a sign saying SWEET WATER BEACH that was showing... eeegh... into the mountains with no road.

Here I have to say: do not repeat what we did. At least not in flip-flops like I did. But anyway, we decided to climb. That was some adrenaline, I have to say. There was a path for walking but it got lost in several places and we just had to climb the rocks with deep blue sea underneath us. Quite an adventure.

When we finally got there the first thing I saw was two naked guys cuddling and sunbathing on the rocks. Of course!!! Place this remote could only be a naturists' beach. I have to say I don't mind myself but my companions were a bit shy and they couldn't relax. The beach was very small, a narrow strip of sand and stones. People came there with tents (and no clothes :) and it looked like they stayed there for several days if not weeks. One could get there by boat that was coming every hour or so. But we don't want easy ways out. So after spending several hours swimming in the most clean water we went back to the car.

This trip tired us a bit, so we drove to see the castle of Fragocastello (that is not worth mentioning), had a dinner and a swim and drove back to the hotel. My feet were hurting for several weeks after that because I didn't have proper footwear.

Thats my friends
That's my friends
Those two dots in the center are m…
Those two dots in the center are …
The white strip is the beach