EuropeItalySiena

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

Siena Travel Blog

The Palio

After a "long week" of class, making ossobuco and risotto followed by three different types of wine on Wednesday, and watching the Godfather part II on Thursday, my roommates and I were looking for a change of scenery. Or original plan was to go to Venice but after find out that AC Milan was playing in Siena on Saturday it was a no brainer. I am not even going to try to explain my excitement about going to see the best club team on earth play live. The next day we were on our way to Siena. By the way Treni Italia can be a good friend or you worst enemy. Stopping for more that 45 minutes in two different cities, our train finally chugged its way into Siena after almost three hours.

Pointing out a fan the threw a beer
Not really knowing where to go for the tickets nor where the middle of the city from the train station was turned out to not be too bad seeing as our cab driver took us straight to the ticket office and told us the lay of the land.  We were fortunate enough to only have the fourth row directly at mid field left for about 45 euro each.  Now that we had our tickets it was time to enjoy ourselves as much as possible before we had to go into the stadium.  We sat and at lunch in the Palio and were there until we were cut off. Entering the game was like herding cattle. so many people going through these narrow tunnels until finally you were behind the grand stand. We made our way to our seats and let the spectacle begin.  At this point let me note that there was no way in hell that I was going to say word one for Milan, nor against Siena.
The madness!
However, there was a family in the section to our right who when Milan scored the tying goal in the 70th minute began to cheer.  The Couple with their two daughters, one of whom was wearing a Milan jersey were subjected to about every loose item in the stadium.  I have never seen such a waste of alcohol in my whole life.  To say the least, they were drenched. As you can see from the pictures a man came up to them and after giving the most amazing display of Italian cuss words I have ever heard, told them that they should leave, politely of course. While being escorted out in front of the entire grand stand by a number of security guards, a second barrage of beer and programs ensued. This is why I kept my mouth shut and joined in with the Siena fans for just one match.
IHS
The game ended in a tie and while I was walking out I tried to take a souvenir, a wall sized Siena flag, that was not too inconspicuous. After 8 or so people grabbed me and I stammered out some broken Italian about how I was going to hang it for all to see at the top of the stadium, I told them I was sorry and had to give it back.  We got out of there as fast as we could and entered the mess of people outside the stadium. We finally were able to flag down the same taxi driver that took us to the city and jumped the last train out of Siena which only took us and hour and twenty minutes to get back. All in all one of the best evenings of my life.  The game was everything I expected and more.  Later in the semester our school is buying us tickets to the Fiorentina vs. Juventus game.  I will be able to get my fix once again. From Florence......Pace Fuori.

Nothing else to say