Norris Travel Blog

Catterpillars
I always prided myself in being quite able to read maps until this summer, my first wake up call from this dream was in China, and my second was on the way to Bear Trap Canyon. In the morning after all the preparations and breakfast I took Echo into the car and we drove off to Bear Trap Canyon. I looked up the hike in the book I bought the weekend before at Barnes & Noble and how to get there. There is a written description of how to get starting point of each hike and then there is a little diagram. I read the description looked at a big map and at the diagram and drove off with Echo in the back of the car. After driving on a very beautiful road (well, the road itself wasn't beautiful but the views, ahhh) I got to a fork, one end of the fork was going Noth-North-West and the other was going Sout-West.
The rock I was standing on to say hello to the world and Echo
Since I knew I was supposed to go West till I found a big campsite sign I didn't know which end of the fork to take so I went towards North. After driving for a while I decided to take a better look on the diagram, from the diagram I read that I was supposed to go South, so I turned around and sped of towards the South, again passing the fork. After getting to a place where I could enjoy the view I decided that I have been driving for long enough now and to take a VERY good look at the diagram when I suddenly noticed the little windrose pointing down with the N... I drove back to the fork and turned onto the road I had initially come from. Very soon I found the sign and found the road that was supposed to take me to Bear Trap Canyon.
When we finally got out of the car it was already 11 o'clock.
Landscape I
.. It is quite difficult to describe how beautiful it was. There were also a of catterpillars and I saw catterpillar nests for the first time. The catterpillars tend to move around in them as if gravity didn't have any influence on them there.
The only down thing was that it was extremely hot, so every once in a while I had to let Echo wade in the Madison River, that was flowing through the canyon. At a certain point we got too high to go down to the river but it didn't matter that much since by this time we were walking in the shade of the forrest. When I got back to the car and took a big gulp of the cold tea I had left in the car, I almost burned my tongue. The cold fruit tea, I had made the previous night, was almost boiling hot again.
It was nice walking by myself but still having the company of another living creature.
Bear Trap Canyon
Not that we talked much... During the whole hike I only came face to face with a fisher who was walking to a better spot and two men on a boat floated past at a certain point, but for the rest of the day I was completely solitary, except for Echo of course. After some time I decided to turn around and go back again. I was getting a bit worried about Echo, he was still doing fine at this point, but I wasn't sure how much farther he would last. In the end I was sorry I didn't turn around sooner. The last two kilometers I had to walk very slowly... The next day Echo stayed home all day and he was quite happy not doing anything all day.
Catterpillars
The rock I was standing on to say …
The rock I was standing on to say…
Hello World!