A day of driving around Island to Kailua-Kona

Kailua-Kona Travel Blog

Waipio Valley

Our next stop was to be Kailua Kona which we had driven through the first night to Volcano--Probably no more than40-50 miles back the way we came but we wanted a view of the whole island so we went back throug Hilo and drove north up the coast to Waipio Valley and then across the interior of the island  through ranch country( is a famous ranch called the Parker ranch) that I am sure would be interesting to many but did not turn me on so bypasses it.  Went through a pretty town named Waimea and high desert country that looked a lot like Arizonia.  Did not feel we came to Hawaii to see ranches and deserts so after buying a coke at Mc Donalds and taking advantage of getting signal on cell phone and calling our children we moved on.

Waipio Valley

After going crosscountry we ended up on the west coast of the island at Lapaki State Park where there were a number of people camping on the beach.  We took a hike down a steep trail to the campsites and if I was 20 years younger would have been a great place to sleep under the stars listening to the surf.

Drove through some of the expensive resorts on the west course and saw some pretty golf courses build in lava flow areas.  Hit a ball off the fairway and would break a club trying to hit it back on.

We got to our B an B(do not even remember its name.) around 1:00  The B&B was on the side of volcano where Kona coffee is grown.  It just grows on a strip of land about two miles wide and 15-20 miles long at a very specfic elevation .

High country-middle of Island
  Coffee drinkers pay a premium for this coffee and Ann,my wife says it is wonderfull.  Since I do not drink cofee I do not know but she bought coffee for herself and friends back home;

Later this day I played golf at Kona Country Club whick I always enjoy.  Main reason I mention the golf is I kept seeing a weasle-like animal on the course and my playing partners told me they were mongoose.  Do not remember seeing them before but remember them from "The Jungle Book" which was a favotite of mine as a child.  They were imported them to get rid of rats and rabbits-now they are the pest.

We went out to eat at a wonderfull restraunt recommened by the manager of our B&B but once again do not know name of it.--Now that I have found this site I will take more care to write down good places  to eat and stay so I can add them to my blogs.

Coffee beans-still on tree