White Sands National Monument

Alamogordo Travel Blog

White Sands Nat'l Monument

After we left Tombstone, it was time to say good-bye to Arizona.  We felt as though we had made the most of our trip and enjoyed just about everything that this wonderful State has to offer.  Although there are some very desolate places in Arizona, much of it is very beautiful.

I had read about the White Sands in New Mexico and luckily, we had enough time to make a quick stop there.  The sun was sinking low and the hot temperatures of the day were changing into the cooler, much more comfortable climate of the New Mexico desert at night.

After we left Las Cruces, we had to ride for some distance on Highway 70, right smack dap through the middle of White Sands Missile Range.  The highway was fenced on both sides with "No Trespassing" signs prominently displayed.

Late evening in White Sands.
   We found out later that this stretch of highway is closed during missle testing!   It would have been bad for us if we had traveled all these miles and then forced to turn around.  That is something that makes for a really bad day!

We paid the small admission fee and rode into the desert.   Not much time for exploring because darkness would soon be covering us like a glove and the park would be closed.  The further we went into the park, the more sand covered the road.  Before long, it was like we were riding right down the middle of the beach.  Time to park the bikes and walk.  We pulled over to the side of the road and then we realized we were all alone.   The quietness and serenity were delicious.

White sand just as far as the eye can see in every direction.  What a beautiful surprise.  None of us expected to find this in the middle of a scrubby looking desert.   As usual, we were traveling late, but it paid off this time.  The perfect hour to visit this place is right before sundown.  The reflection of the sun on the sand turns it into a pink oasis.  I'm not a photographer so I wasn't able to really capture the beauty.  If you are reading this, I just suppose you will have to go and visit it yourself and see what I am talking about.   It is a treat for the eyes.

White Sands Natl Monument