Day Six ~ Williams ~ Kingman

Kingman Travel Blog

Cactus beside road sign.

After a glorious morning touring Bryce Canyon, we again found ourselves with the wind in our face and the sun on our back.  We had been in this corner of the world in 2005 and knew exactly where we wanted to eat supper.  Williams, Arizona.

Highway 89 South is a good road that would take us right into Flagstaff.  From Flagstaff, Williams is a short thirty-minute ride on I-40 West.  The only drawback was the many miles we needed to travel before Flagstaff.  We had a long, hard ride in front of us.  Highway 89 is a very good road, but it lacks in anything that could remotely resemble the picturesque countryside that had spoiled us over the past several days.

Glen Canyon Dam

Mile after mile of desert, scrubby bushes and trees was all we could see in every direction.   Although we were riding right through the middle of Grand Staircase National Monument, I couldn't see anything that deserved a second look.   Then, a pleasant surprise:  Lake Powell.   This lake has to be one of the most beautiful bodies of water on the planet.  It is a man-made reservoir on the Colorado River that straddles the Utah/Arizona border, being situated in some of Southern Utah's finest red-rock desert country.  It took 17 years for the lake to rise to it's high-water mark.  In other words, after the Dam was completed it was seventeen years before Lake Powell actually become a "lake" with a full pool of water.   That's a long, long time.

Glen Canyon Dam holding back beautiful Lake Powell

Lake Powell was created by the flooding of Glen Canyon by the Glen Canyon Dam.  Hiway 89 took us right over the Dam and we saw an opportunity to stretch our legs.  Well, we didn't know that the Visitor Center would require us to pass through a metal detector!  It was back outside to empty our pockets and get rid of anything metal that might set off the alarm.   I'll be the first to admit that Randy and Jerry with their sunburned faces and helmet hair could raise some suspicions, so we all wanted to cooperate and avoid any confrontations!!

All of us had seen the pictures in travel magazines and on the television.  Azure blue, like a motionless mirror, reflecting sheer rock walls in every shade of red and orange.  This was Lake Powell.

Rod's Steak House. Yummy!
  150 miles long with over 2,000 miles of shoreline.  Incredible.  We talked about planning a trip back to the area to rent a houseboat.  Floating aimlessly in the most magnificent body of water in the world.   Well, a girl can dream, can't she??

The Visitor Center had lots of nice "souvenirs" for typical tourists.  Boy, am I glad that I'm not a tourist :)  But I must admit, I do like to buy those silly refrigerator magnets.  They make me smile every time I open the refrigerator door.  And the best thing is they are very, very small.   Motorcycle travel demands small memorabilia.

We were now in Arizona.   Highway 89 South.   This was the highway to the Grand Canyon but we weren't going there this time.

Riding late. It's been a long day.
   We had a good three-hour ride in front of us to Flagstaff so we put the pedal to the metal.   It was hot and the landscape was not inviting.   Irregardless, the miles clicked off easily and soon we were sitting in the air-conditioned dining room at Rod's Steak House in Williams.   Dinner is our very favorite time of day.  It is a time of sharing our thoughts about the day's adventure while someone else brings us wonderfully prepared food.  What could be better than that?

By this time it was dusky dark and we had about an hour's ride in front of us to Kingman.  It had been a long day and we needed a shower and a comfortable bed.   Our trip was now half-way through but we knew that the next six days would be just as good as the first six.

Glen Canyon Dam
Glen Canyon Dam holding back beaut…
Glen Canyon Dam holding back beau…
Rods Steak House.  Yummy!
Rod's Steak House. Yummy!
Riding late. Its been a long day.
Riding late. It's been a long day.
Kingman