AsiaIndiaCochin

Off on a sea voyage

Cochin Travel Blog

Come morning and heavy rain pounded Ernakulam for about an hour, and some of the streets were partly flooded. The one next to my hotel wasn't any good either... it had about 8 inches of water on one side. I side stepped it carefully and was off to the "SPORTS" Lakshadweep tourism office on Willingdon island (close to the port). This was the day when I set off... so exciting.

I reached the tourism office well in time, only to find out that nothing else was happening on time. The ship that was to take me to Kavaratti - the M V Amindvi - was delayed till 3 PM or so due to some paperwork. Sigh. Eventually me and 2 couples (who were also going on the same tour) boarded the ship arond 4 PM. Most of the passengers were locals from the islands.

The ship wasn't quite a big one, and didn't have any cabin accomodation. So we were supposed to sit it out for the next 20 or so hours. I had no idea what was in store, this being my first sea voyage on any ship. Basically, this was this was the first ship going to the islands post monsoon season. The weather still wasn't the best ... urrp. A few hours was enough to realize that I was going to be verrrry sea sick. After dinner I couldn't take it anymore and finally asked around, and got some medication. Guess it wasn't soon enough... purge... and feeling a bit better. Managed to finally fall asleep, even though the common television was blaring some old print of the bollywood movie "Mein Khiladi Tu Anari" (only after a chain of more inane old songs).

-- Ashish Bhambhani