Back to mainland and home

Cochin Travel Blog

I tried my best not to wake up inspite of the loud crappy movie going on in the seating hall, and inspite of the sickening rocking of the ship. The ship was going making slow progress anyway. Around noon I stepped out onto the bow (or something like that). It was sunny and not too warm. I could see rainbow colours in the spray of water as the ship cut through the water. Just relaxed there for a while, rocking about and watching the pretty colours come and go, and then the occasional flying fish jumping out and gliding back into the deep coloured waters. But got bored of that soon enough and returned to rest through the remainder of the torturously long sea journey.

The ship finally docked at about 17:00. I touched dry land again about 17:30 and rushed myself to the airport, which took another goodly (and torturous) 2 hours to get to. Fortunately I was in time for a 20:45 flight to Bangalore and seats were available. When I entered the terminal India was playing Pakistan in the cricket T20 world finals, and half the hall was glued to the TV, cheering and oohing and aahing with every ball bowled. I left the hall at 20:15 when Indian team seemed to have gotten themselves into a dismal position. A relatively peaceful flight later I was back to Bangalore, full circle - through Cochin and Kavaratti, welcomed by sounds of fireworks. India had won the match and the world cup T20 tournament.

-- Ashish Bhambhani