Teaching at Rosegarden High School

Kathmandu Travel Blog

Sunday was teaching day. Unlike in Belgium, where I live officially, children go to school on Sunday in Nepal. They have a free day on Saturday and on Friday they have only a half day of school.

I got into contact with Rosegarden Hig School (RHS) true Bhim, one of my Nepali friends. Both his children go to school there. RHS is a private school, and those school give a better education to children normally, because the teachers are more interested, there is more money and therefore more possibilities. As school is getting more expensive every higher year children often have to change from a private school in the early years to government schools at a later age.

Me coming there on Sunday, september 16, was quiet a good timing, it seemed. Because of the second day of Teej (see my former blog), of which the first day was two days before, some of the female teachers were not present, due to a temple visit.

I must admit that I was a little afraid, when they took me to the class. To be honest, I didn’t prepare anything, thinking I wasn’t really going to teach. No way out, they took me to my first class, where the principal introduced me as a guest from Belgium, and than it was up to me.

Starting with my name seemed a good possibility, because, I thought, before they could pronounce my name we would have been 20 minutes further. WRONG, at the first moment they pronounced my name correctly. Even a class of students under 8, and some even 5, I think, they were already ahead of me. When I started talking about my country, the location, the amount of inhabitants, our system of education, they seemed really interested. Asking questions, didn’t seem that difficult as I suspected it would be. It was nice to see how they were listening to me, being amazed thet the highest point of my country (694 m above sea level) was lower as the city they were living in, Kathmandu being a city located at 1350m above that same sea level).

When we started talking about sports they really got a grip of the talking and before I knew, we were all around a desk in front of the class, them explaning to me one of Nepalies most popular sports, of which I must say, with a lot of shame, I forgot the name. I do remember that you could play it with two people, or more, as long as you had an even figure. Propably I was more under influence of the impact of the moment as they were, because they remembered my name pretty well. Little rascals!

My second class were older people, and actually the “lesson” went pretty much the same, only they got me into singing a Belgian song for them. I think my face was red like hell, but after I finished I received a big applaus, which I must say, really touched me. The questions they were asking me, were really about if I had a war in my country, or problems with discrimination. They were really interested, and had a lot of those questions I really didn’t expect. The range between the oldest and the youngest in the class was something like 7 or 8 years I think. That’s already one of the big differences with the educational program in my country, where everyone is supposed to be the same age in one class, with exceptions for people like me who are so fond of some years that they really want to do it twice. ;)

If I wouldn’t have been talking to them, they would have been free to play outside, doing sports, or just talk to eachother, but even when I asked them several times they really chose to stay inside and talk. It was touching again. They stole my heart, they really did, specially that one girl saying to me; you have such a big heart. She must have been something like 12 years old, and that were her exact words. Try to keep your tears inside at that time. They must have seen the water coming up in my eyes, but I don’t mind, although I didn’t feel like crying in there.

When I decided on my own to stop the class, because I wanted to visit another school at an orphanage also, standing right outside the door I took out my camera to take a picture of these wonderful people. At once, like there was a magnet in the camera, 250 children came running to me screaming; PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO!!! I got locked in and they came with this speed running up from all sides that when they reached me it was like they couldn’t stop anymore. The result was me laying down on the ground. I think I have never heared 250 people laughing that loud, while “my class” helped me standing up and picking up some things that fell out of my pockets, to give them back to me.

After a photo shoot that must have taken like 20 minutes, I finally managed to get out of the fun-war zone and I was so happy. Happy that I could take this extraordinary experience with me inside my heart. Inside my BIG heart!

photo by: sharonburgher