A pretty quick side stop.

Salem Travel Blog

We are making our way farther south today and will be spending the night in Eugene which is about 110 miles.  Around the half way point, just north of Salem I decide to make a stop at a place where my wife has drooled over for years.  She loves to grow Iris' and this is probably the premier grower in the United States.

But of course she feels that because it is June and our Iris have long since gone through their bloom cycle in March and April it will be worthless. In central California our bloom cycle is much earlier than here in Oregon.

Just north of Salem I see the signs and now that it can’t be that far off the highway for signs to be advertising it.

I take the side road to Schriener's Iris Gardens.  As you can see for yourself, it was a good thing I did it.  It was prime bloom there.

We spent at least an hour or two just walking the gardens and talking to the workers.  And of course, even though my wife had about 150 varieties already, she had to purchase a few more.  I took close-up shots of the ones she decided to purchase. “Voltage”, is coral orange in color with a very deep orange beard.  “Avalon Sunset” was also a quite similar light orange color with a deep orange beard. And “Rapture in Blue” was a very lavender-blue color with more ruffled standards and falls and a pale lavender beard that did not show in these pictures.  At the end of summer when they are being trimmed and separated she will get them in the mail and we’ll plant them for next spring.  The grin on her face was worth the side trip.

We then head on south for another hour to Eugene where we are to stay at the Quality Inn and Suites.  Dinner was up the street at a little family diner called Deb’s Family Restaurant.

jenyenh says:
nice garden!
Posted on: Jun 03, 2007
Salem Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Deb’s is an old fashioned family restaurant like they used to be. Excellent friendly waitresses, a good menu from breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and … read entire review
Salem Sights & Attractions review
Just north of Salem, Oregon is one of the largest Iris growers in the country. With a track record of more than 75 years in the same location and thre… read entire review
Salem