Raffles!

Singapore Travel Blog

Marianna, Me and Katie at Raffles

After a long week of tests and writing two amazing papers on Chinese Nationalism, there is nothing like a mellow night out to unwind.

So, Thursday, after we had had the first session of the new class, Quality Control, Marianna, Katie and I headed downtown to the Raffles Hotel to have a Singapore Sling, the "official" drink of Singapore.

Why Raffles specifically?  Well, the Raffles hotel is named after Stamford Raffles, the Englishman who colonized Singapore in 1819.  It is also the place where the first "lady" drink was made.  It was a mix of cherry brandy, cointreau, pineapple juice and grenadine.  Obviously it was eventually named the Singapore Sling in honor of the city where it was founded.

Anyway, the drinks were very good (and very expensive), but it was fun to get dressed up and go sit in a really nice hotel.  We actually ended up sitting in the courtyard and listening to some live music and enjoying our drinks.  I want to come back to Singapore when I am older and actually possibly stay at the hotel...but for now, I think the drink will more than do.

We called it a night early.

I am living quite the life, I think.

Singapore