Corona or Guiness?

Singapore Travel Blog

Outside of the Dorm

So, we finally got here!  It is almost 2 a.m. Singapore time on Thursday and 2 p.m. on Wednesday in Atlanta.  The difference is exactly 12 hours which is both easy and confusing (Singapore is 12 hours ahead of Atlanta).  If I ever wanted to call home I guess you would have to do it either very early or very late.

The entire trip took close to 40 hours.  We flew from Atlanta --> LA --> Beijing --> Singapore.  The first flight wasn't so bad, 5 hours to LA and then we had about a 4 hour layover in the airport.  The flight left for Beijing at 1:40 a.m. California time (4:40 a.m. ATL time) so everyone slept most of the way.  However, when we got to Beijing it was 5:00 in the morning Beijing time.  This is not ideal because all of us were still on Atlanta time which would make it 5 in the afternoon.  Our layover in Beijing was 10 hours.  We also had to uncheck and recheck our baggage because we were going to be in the airport for so long.  So we unchecked our bags, went through customs and left the airport just to go back in.  There are 24 of us on the trip, 20 of us all had the same flights together.  One person spoke Chinese.  If you have ever been to Beijing, you would realize that this wasn't going to work out so well.  The one person that spoke Chinese discovered that we were not allowed to go through customs and ticketing until 3 hours before our flight.  So we had 7 hours to basically sit in the lobby of the Beijing airport.

Fortunately, we found a restaurant that was open 24 hours (this is at around 6 a.m. by now) and they let us all sit down and put our luggage somewhere while we got food and waited for the flight.  They probably thought we were insane because of some of the stuff we ordered -- spaghetti, mongolian bbq beef and pizza to name a few.  The restaurant was called the Lucky Shamrock Irish Pub Irish pub in Beijing??  The first question we were asked at our table by our waitress was "Corona or Guiness?"  Apparently if you are American, this indicates that you want beer.  Even if it is 6 in the morning.

Not to disappoint, many people did get beer.  And we all had a great breakfast/dinner and spent 7 hours sitting in the restaurant playing cards and talking.  We were the only ones there for the majority of the time.  I walked around the airport a bit as was neat to see everything written in Chinese characters.  I learned a couple of words too.  Xie-xie is thank you and it sounds like shi-shi.  Used that one a lot.  Also got some Chinese yen (pronounced U-N).  Hopefully by the end of the trip I will know a couple phrases, etc.

Our flight to Singapore ended up getting rerouted and we didn't end up getting in till about 11 p.m. (Singapore time...everything from now on is going to be in Singapore time).  We are staying in the Prince Georges Residences which are a part of the National University of Singapore.  I posted the one picture I got of the outside of the building..I'll get a better daytime one later.  The rooms are really nice.  We all have our own rooms and mine happens to connect to of the girls I know pretty well on the trip.  Didn't really get to see much of the campus on the bus drive from the airport but we did go through downtown which looked very modern and clean.  Everything seems to be written in English here....not like Beijing (at least what we saw in the airport).  The trees are really pretty as well.  They all were lit up at the top and everything was so well-landscaped.

I couldn't get over the whole driving on the left hand side thing.  It feels so backwards.  I know I couldn't handle driving like that, I can hardly handle driving in the U.S.  I couldn't wait to get a shower when I got to the felt great.  Definitely didn't regret bringing all the toiletries I hauled on 3 different flights.

Well, I think I am going to try to get some sleep!  We have orientation at 8:15.

ulysses says:
corona, definitely!

your entry makes me wonder about my jetlag / timezone issues yet to come :)
Posted on: Sep 19, 2006
CindyLC says:
Always go with Corona. Unless you're in Dublin, Guiness is only good in Ireland. But Irish pubs are always a good bet, you should try to find one in every city! I'm glad you're having a good time.
Posted on: May 27, 2006
Nick says:
i really enjoy reading about your trip! have fun
Posted on: May 18, 2006