Adventures in Babysitting --- In New York

New York Travel Blog

A few years ago I told my niece I would take her on vacation. She was just turning 9 and her parents agreeded I could take her on a trip. They paid for airfare and $100 spending cash and I paid for the rest. I picked New York because I had been there 3 times previously and kind of knew what to expect.
I'm not certain of the dates or the order these events took place.
I know we left Thursday night on a red eye to New York. THis was the neice's first airplane flight and she was sleep before we left the terminal. This was awesome because this flight had some of the worst turbulence I have every experienced. We got to JFK airport around 6 in the morning and took a cab to the city. We were staying at a La Quinta and we went there first to check in. We were way to early but they let us drop off our luggage and promised to take good care of Eeyore (niece's stuffed Eeyore doll. It  goes everywhere).
We hopped on the subway and took off for Wall Street and the view of the Statue of Liberty. It was cold and windy so we didn't take the ferry over. Just stood and took pictures and looked. We walked around and meandered over to the world trade center memorials. The niece bveing so young wasn't too impressed but I stood there and soaked it up.
We grabbed some McDonalds for lunch and headed back to the hotel to get warmer clothes and rested. We broke out at night to get dinner (new york pizza) and to walk to Times Square. We spend loads of time in the giant Toy's R Us and bought souvineirs. Our tradition started that night of going to Brooklyn Bagel Cafe and buying hot chocolate and candy to take back to the hotel while we watched MTV and fell asleep.
surfingcowboy says:
I LOVE NEW YORK!!!!! I only got to spend about 24 hours there a couple years ago but I got to see ground zero (very moving still), took the staten island ferry to see the statue of liberty and got to see Times Square at 3:00 in the morning (that part's a little hazy tho). I can't wait to go back. Your neice is very lucky to have an aunt like you, I bet it's something she will always remember.
Posted on: Sep 19, 2007